There is no beach in CLT

This is a sad day. Try as I might, there is no big-water beach here in CLT. I was hoping. Really really hoping that when I woke up this morning, I'd still be in Wilmington. But, alas, no. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate my lovely home and my great friends, but I, if you didn't know, am part mermaid. Water runs in my veins. Big water is the best! Salty big water is better. Salty big water with lovely sand is the ultimate.

Wilmington has that.

And it was lovely. Hubby isn't part fish like I am, so I didn't dare don my swimsuit, lest I leave him alone on the shore. But I did get my feet wet. And we did walk a couple miles on a couple different beaches. And it was divine. And needed after all the food we ate!

Oh, the food! Seafood. Yes, please! Although it took a hot second to find a place that was actually open for dinner (in these Covid times, be sure to call first. Don't trust the Google; don't trust the restaurant's website. Call. Or enjoy the walk.)

We headed out for dinner around 6pm on Friday with the goal of going to Circa 1922. The menu looked good and the ambiance looked cool. But, they are closed. Next time.

We headed to Dock Street Oyster Bar. Oysters aren't my thing, but Hubster likes them. SMH. Also closed.

So, after a brief search on "gluten free dining in Wilmington", ended up at PinPoint (which we had passed a couple times in our quest). WOW! Super people, super decor, superior waiter. Be sure to ask for Luis. Do it. Don't sit in anyone else's section. He knows his wine. He loves food. He understands Unicorns. It has a lovely, quiet feel, especially due to social distancing (and until the already tipsy bridal/birthday/whatever party shows up). Tin ceiling, old plank floors, really cool bar. Oh, and the chandelier made of oyster shells. (Check out the Restaurant tab for the link to the menu and the low-down on what we had.)

Saturday morning, we set out for Kure beach and breakfast. We'll just find a spot along the way. Right. Un-coffeed hubby and tealess Unicorn try to just find a spot. plan = nope. We did, after some driving, come across Eggs Up Grill, which we had been to in North Myrtle couple years ago. It was a solid choice. Nothing noteworthy, but definately enough and edible.

For lunch, we ended up at Cape Fear Seafood Company. It's a chain, but we wanted seafood and their menu was marked for GF, Veg and Vegan options. It's in a plaza with Walmart, but don't let that deter you if you want good food and good portion sizes. Again, check the Restaurant tab for the link to the website and tasting notes (sounds super fancy lol).

Since breakfast and lunch were later than we usually eat, we weren't really hungry for dinner at dinnertime (or suppertime or whatever you wanna call it), so we popped over to Clean Juice for smoothies. Hubster had never had one before! I forget which ones we had, but his probably involved peaches. It was a nice snack.

Dinner found us at Ceviche's for, well, ceviche. Did you know Saturday was National Ceviche Day? We didn't either but it was a nice bit of serendipity. If you want to sit inside, you need to make reservations (probably well in advance as the place is tiny), but outdoor seating is available for walk-ups like us. They did the best they could with the ambiance being outside on a main road at an intersection with a canopy and outdoor carpets and strings of lights. I liked the company best of all :) (As before, link and notes are on the Restaurant tab.)

Breakfast Sunday. Oh, sweet southern momma! Cast Iron Kitchen. Hullo. Looking around online for a breakfast place that, IDK, was actually open and had more than pastries I popped across this one. High ratings; cool. Oh, it had been on DDD; righteous. But what? Hold da fone. Pulled pork hash? That I can have? Seriously? Done. Granted, it was packed so we had to sit at the bar. Don't care. Service was fast and friendly. They serve S&D coffee, too, so Hubster was happy about a decent cuppa. And the brisket hash that he had; he was happy about that, too.

Of course, we got off to a late start so breakfast was late...again. So for lunch on the way home, since we weren't super hungry, we stopped at a Tropical Smoothie (Hubs is really onto smoothies now. Yay!): his was peachy and mine was guava. Dinner we here locally at Pho Real. Not clean for this Unicorn, but I was hungry and it sounded good. No review (or website I could find) but here's the TripAdvisor page for them: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g49022-d1053218-Reviews-Pho_real-Charlotte_North_Carolina.html

It was so good to get away for the weekend and see some new stuff and eat some great seafood. Wilmington...I think I like you...

Comments